Actually, make that a direct hit for the Northeast

A significant change has occurred since my last post. I believed that the remnants of the upper level low currently over the southern Plains would merge with the clipper moving down from Canada Thursday, which would bring a heavy rain event to New England.

Boy, was I wrong.

The initial clipper will move across the Northeast Thursday and allow a cold high to settle over southeastern Canada. The southern plains upper level low will then form a secondary surface low along the cold front over South Carolina and ride up the coast in a classic Miller A type snowstorm. The GFS has been the most consistent model in having the trough go negative in response to the upstream ridging which will allow the surface low to deepen sufficiently along the NJ coast and become quite an impressive March winter storm. There will be a band of heavy, wet snow from northeastern PA into southern Maine. It’s too early to tell how much snow will fall in the I-95 cities, but the rain/snow line will be close.

After another cold high moves across the Northeast Sunday, temperatures will begin to moderate and spring-like warmth is expected across the entire eastern U.S. by early next week.

This entry was posted in U.S. Weather. Bookmark the permalink.