A group of climate researchers at Northern Illinois University have published a paper that shows that the Mid-South has the greatest percentage of nocturnal tornadoes in the United States. Over 40% of all tornadoes that affect Kentucky and Tennessee occur between the hours of midnight and dawn. These nocturnal tornadoes are 2.5 times more likely to be fatal than tornadoes that occur at other times. A link to a press release of the article can be found here.
- About me – Dr. Greg Goodrich
- About this blog
- Blog student contributors
- Meteorology at WKU
- My Publications
- Weather links
- Who should pursue the B.S. Meteorology degree?
- B.S. Meteorology degree – curriculum
- B.S. Meteorology degree – sample 4-yr program
- How to apply for a job with the NWS