The Fight to Stay Dry

A quick little introduction about myself before we get to the good stuff and discuss the weather for the weekend. I Was one of those kids who grew up watching the weather channel and always have been involved with the  weather through storm spotting, weather reports about snow days in school or talking about my favorite TV meteorologist. Over the past 17 months I have run a site dealing with central and eastern Kentucky weather with daily discussions and thoughts on the weather( www.mitchg.wordpress.com). I also comment on Kentucky weather center and Wkyt’s(CBS) weatherblog in Lexington. I have a BS in geography from the University of Kentucky and I’m starting my MS study in geosciences with a majority of my coursework in meteorology and climatology at both universities.

1. Enough about me let’s talk about the weather.

2. For those of you walking around the Bowling Green area this morning it was a fight to stay dry as a batch of moderate showers moved through. This should be the rule for the next few days across the mid south. We have a strong ridge over the great lakes which has been driving in a dry easterly flow into the region which has until today kept the majority of rain showers south of the region and given Tennessee excessive rainfall. However today shower activity has been organized enough  to nudge north into southern Kentucky. The cutoff line between dry and wet should move a little further north for Friday and Saturday into central Kentucky. For areas in the wet it will be a periodic and not an all day event, However, all of us will see mainly overcast skies through Saturday. Highs through Saturday should be in the upper 70’s in areas with clouds and rain to the low and mid 80’s for those of you lucky enough to stay dry. Low temperatures should average out around 60.

3. This area of low pressure across the Tennessee valley should move north and become stretched out as the flow behind the ridge of high pressure shifts to southerly on Sunday. Even Though the low weakens out there will still plenty of showers and storms with all the tropical moisture in play across the mid south some of which may lead to more excessive rainfall.

4.   Our first taste of fall should arrive next week behind a powerful frontal boundary. We may have to watch for severe weather with this front as well.This feature showed up well on the models a few days ago and now has gone away but i do expect the feature to show up in the next day or so on the models again.

5. Look for another forecast discussion for next week to be posted by Monday, a mid week climate post followed by another discussion for next weekend from myself. We will have several different authors throughout the fall term on this site to set myself aside I will use my initials MG at the end of the discussion like they do at the NWS.

MG

This entry was posted in Kentucky Weather. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to The Fight to Stay Dry

1. mitchell.gaines673 says:

Check the comments section for more breaking weather information such as a severe thunderstorm warning for warren county. Also feel free to comment about your thoughts on the weather, comments will need to be approved as appropriate for this site by a author.

2. mitchell.gaines673 says:

gfs has a lot of hvy storms here on Sunday while the nam is further west with the hvy rains check out the rainfall maps from the models. these images do include some of of the activity from today and Saturday as well.

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/gfs/12/images/gfs_p60_060l.gif

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/nam/12/images/nam_p60_066l.gif

3. mitchell.gaines673 says:

nam has a region of hvy 2-3 inch rains Sunday to our west while the gfs has this right on top of us. It will be interesting to see which model is right on this one.

4. mitchell.gaines673 says:

quite a storm today around 5 with some quick rises in area streams and creeks across warren county. over 1/2 inch in about 30 min at the mesonet observation site. watch for more storms with hvy rain on sunday.

5. mitchell.gaines673 says: