Bowling Green is currently 50 degrees with a light northwest wind. It is drizzly outside, as a cold front is just to our north and is providing enough forcing for some light rain showers. A deep upper-level trough is situated over the eastern U.S. and is pulling extremely cold Canadian air down into our area tonight and tomorrow. The 250 mb heights (weather.cod.edu) show the deep trough that will be impacting us over the weekend.
Temperatures will plummet today and tomorrow when this cold front moves through. There have been rumors of possible snowfall in the forecast for tonight; however, this only applies to eastern Kentucky. Higher elevations east of I-75 could see some snowfall with tonight’s showers, but as for us, we will probably only be seeing light rain and a possible wintry mix as nighttime lows drop to slightly above freezing. The Simulated Reflectivity for around 10pm tonight shows most of the precipitation occurring east of Bowling Green.
After this system moves through, a strong upper-level ridge will begin moving into the area Sunday and early next week. This will bring a surface high pressure and warmer temperatures in the mid-60s. We’ll see a brief glimpse of winter this weekend, but it won’t last for long.
Have a great weekend and remember to set your clocks back on Saturday night!
Bowling Green’s 5-day Forecast (NWS):
- Tonight: A slight chance of rain showers, mixing with snow after 9pm, then gradually ending. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33. Northwest wind 14 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 47. North wind 11 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph.
- Saturday Night: Areas of frost after 1am. Otherwise, mostly clear, with a low around 27. North wind 5 to 7 mph becoming calm after midnight.
- Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 52. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph.
- Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 35.
- Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 62.
- Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 45.
- Tuesday: Partly sunny, with a high near 67.
- Tuesday Night: A 40 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 53.
- Wednesday: Showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 63. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
- Wednesday Night: A 30 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 47.