Temperatures in Bowling Green are slowly on the rise today through Sunday. A slow-moving upper-level trough is making its way across the country and the associated surface low pressure system and cold front will impact the Bowling Green area Sunday. We are currently to the east of the surface low and will be experiencing southerly winds, resulting in a brief warm-up over the next couple days. The low pressure system and cold front is expected to arrive around mid-afternoon on Sunday. The NAM 18z Simulated Reflectivity for Sunday afternoon shows a large area of thunderstorms and heavy rain moving into Kentucky. Make sure to stay updated with this incoming system, as some of these storms could be severe.
This system will drop a lot of rain before it moves out of the region. Precipitation accumulations could be around an inch or more in some places. Temperatures will gradually drop throughout the week as the upper-level trough moves eastward and cold, arctic air is brought in to our area. With that being said, preliminary forecasts for Thanksgiving Day are looking like it will be extremely cold, with daytime highs in the mid 20s and 30s. The GFS 2m Temperature for Thanksgiving Day shows cold, arctic air over much of the eastern U.S.
Have a great weekend!
Bowling Green’s 5 Day Forecast:
- Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 39. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 8 mph after midnight.
- Saturday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 58. South wind 9 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph.
- Saturday Night: A 30 percent chance of showers after midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 46. South wind around 8 mph.
- Sunday: Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. High near 64. Southeast wind 9 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 32 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
- Sunday Night: A 50 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 52. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
- Monday: A 40 percent chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 58.
- Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 34.
- Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 46.
- Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 27.