Bowling Green is currently 76 degrees and sunny, with a light southwest wind. These temperatures are almost 10 degrees warmer than the average temperature for late October. According to climatology records, we could come close to breaking the record high temperature of 87 degrees (1919) for October 27. The latest surface analysis from NOAA shows a nice high pressure system centered over Kentucky, which is responsible for the southerly wind flow here in Bowling Green.
As seen in the figure, a warm front will begin making its way into the region tomorrow and we should see more humid air being funneled into Kentucky. Expect fog in low-lying areas tomorrow morning as low temperatures dip slightly below dewpoint. Tomorrow will be much more cloudy and unseasonably warm with a south wind becoming stronger in the afternoon.
Behind this warm front is an upper-level trough that will bring a low pressure system and associated cold front into the area on Tuesday. This will bring possible thunderstorms and heavy rain Tuesday afternoon. The upper-level trough will stay positioned over the eastern U.S. for most of the latter part of the week until a secondary jet streak begins to provide additional forcing that will deepen the trough even more and bring much cooler temperatures into the area. Until then, here’s what to expect for the early part of the week:
- Today: Sunny, with a high near 77. Calm wind.
- Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 58. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph after midnight.
- Monday: Sunny, with a high near 85. South wind 6 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph.
- Monday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 62. South wind around 11 mph.
- Tuesday: Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. High near 75. South wind 9 to 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
- Tuesday Night: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 47. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
- Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 62.
- Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 39.